Foamy eggs


I cannot term this a soufflé because it did not rise properly. This is the first time that has ever happened, and it causes me to question all that I know and accept for egg-truth and received egg-wisdom. I thought the bowl was sparkly clean, maybe I was wrong about that. I checked, if you can call a .01 millisecond glance checking. I am certain there was no egg yolk accidentally mixed in. I noticed I didn't have much album compared with the yolks, that is, the yolks appeared to be abnormally large. Ordinarily I would appreciate that but today I needed maximum egg white. I noticed also the whites never did  form a stiff peak and they stayed kind of wet. I stopped whipping because I was sort of over it. Maybe my sauce was too thin. Whatever the reason, the result sure is delicious. 

I added a small amount of the leftover salmon and the second half of the tiny tin of jalapeño peppers. 

First, a bowl is buttered and coated with a hard grated cheese so that the egg has a rough texture to climb. In this case the egg did very little climbing so the whole preparation was for naught, except for the attractive cheesy crust that is formed.


A thin roux sauce is prepared seasoned with cayenne, salt/pepper.  Later the egg yolks are tempered into the sauce. I did not cook it beyond that. Maybe that is another reason why it did not rise properly -- the egg yolks were completely uncooked.  

?

I do not know. 

Additional cheese can be added either to the sauce or folded into the beaten egg whites along with the sauce. 




A portion of beaten egg white is mixed into the sauce to lighten it so that the sauce folds more easily back into the bulk of the beaten egg whites. A complete homogenous mixing is not necessary nor is it desired. All that action will deflate the beaten egg whites. The less that the bulk of the egg whites is handled the better, even if that means areas of unmixed whites.  


Chefs usually use a spoon to stab the foam pile around in a circle to form a sort of tire of foam around a central core of foam. This assists the foam structure to rise straight up instead of leaning to one side, if it is to rise at all, which this one didn't. 



Short stunted little thing, but no less delicious for its stubby appearance. To tell the truth about it, I like it better this way because light airy foam food always struck me as  pissy and fem. My preference is for something more satisfyingly substantial. 

No comments:

Blog Archive