Chocolate Han Solo in carbonite










Picture it .

You are a boy. You are handed an obviously home-wrapped chocolate, paper wrapper with 'Star Wars' summat, aluminum foil, Cellophane tape, clearly unprofessionally done. This cannot be good. It is misdirection. You open it and see that it is Han Solo in carbonite and you piss yourself.

On the machine I used the "go directly to the perfect temperature" method of tempering this time instead of the "go high, go low, go medium" method of tempering. The reason I switched is because the last time a few of the finished chocolates fell out of temper over time even though they were tempered carefully using the traditional method and they were stored at a steady cool temperature. This vexed me. Caused me to rebel and go, "Fine then, I'll just use the chincy way next time." Which is now. It also caused me to have to check everything I had already wrapped. 

This mold pictured above is intended for ice cubes but I hacked it you see and I am using it for chocolate instead. Frankly, it makes terrible ice cubes. Hardly worth it at all. Within one minute the detail is melted away in any drink no matter how cold. The success of this mold for chocolate means that if the molds are to be any use at all to me I must buy at least seven more molds. Possibly nine. 

As far as Han Solo in carbonite goes, this is the best mold I've found so far. I found another good one similar to this but presently it is unavailable. I will buy that one too. It turns out the smaller Han Solos here in this mold might end up being more useful to me than the larger Han Solo in this mold. It is a very good size for chocolates, both sizes are, actually. 

I've been interested in the Han Solo in carbonite mold in the Play Doh set, so I've been keeping an eye on them on eBay.  It's in the vintage Play Doh Jaba the Hut Playset. 

Han Solo is vintage. 

Now, you see that the whole point of this iconic vignette is the obvious terror of Han Solo at the moment of being frozen but it would not do to have the delicate developing psychologies of Play-Doh-playing children be disturbed inadvertently therefore the Play Doh version of Han Solo in carbonite is a terror-free version and so avoids the point completely.


Look, his hands are folded like an Egyptian pharaoh, not like the terror of somebody being buried alive. This would not make a good chocolate bar. Insufficient terror. 

Here's the Lego version also insufficient terror. 


The Lego version couldn't work anyway. This shows two sides of the same piece. It's used to store a lego person. The Lego man snaps inside. Although the detailed side could be used to produce a very decent chocolate mold, it too avoids the terror of extended curled fingertips which makes the original so compelling. 

Another alternative is to use an action figure to create a mold. There are Han Solo in carbonite action figures that come with both a doll which is useless for chocolate and carbonite version which is useless as an action figure. There are two sizes. They appear to be sufficiently detailed. Those carbonite versions, not the action figure, could be used as positive templates for the production of food-safe molds. 


Okay, not the doll, the blockish thing behind the doll. The thing advertised in black and white next to the doll. I think the flat thing behind the doll is Han Solo in carbonite that could be used as a positive template for a negative mold. This version appears to depict a sufficiently terrified expression, in black and white, not the doll. Maybe I had just buy one and see. This is the sort of thing boys of all ages find cool. Why? Because it just is.

Two pages have been written since this page.

* large chocolate Han Solo in carbonite, wrapped
* chocolate Han Solo in carbonite production

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love! On so many levels.
It's Han, though, not Hans.

Chip Ahoy said...

Oh, thank you Mr. Anonymous for that. I changed them all.

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I donít have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb job

Blog Archive