Hamburger self-helper


If you've ever been tempted to buy a box of Hamburger Helper™, then punch yourself in the face really hard, and keep punching until you wise up.

This post will show an imitation of Hamburger Helper™ which is already an imitation of something else. It will not show an imitation of the original thing, whatever that was.

You can be excused for relying on Hamburger Helper™ if you honestly do not know anything and are trying to learn. The product can give you a start, I suppose. But in very short order you should catch on to what is going on there and strike out on your own for better results, and if not then I do not know what to tell you except you probably are not all that interested.

Open up your window wide so this thing arrays properly.






There. Butter, spices, flour to start a roux, milk to turn the roux into a sauce. A regular Béchamel with extra spices but no nutmeg because the extra spices used here would completely wipe out nutmeg, unless you overdid it with the nutmeg to insist on its presence being noted above everything else but that would be disgusting. Don't worry. Nutmeg's absence is made up for by, wait for it ... 


fenugreek!


which is the new thing for me that is the old thing everybody else already knew about thus leaving me behind to catch up on my own. 

I also ground up fennel seed and coriander seed with the fenugreek. I do not know why I used fennel. I am liking fennel seed in everything right now. I am forming the opinion that fennel seed in an excellent and underutilized spice. 

So, there is all of that, and that is all anyone should need to leave Hamburger Helper™ in the I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing dust. And now having caught on to what Hamburger Helper™ is doing you will also realize that whatever hamburger meat is doing here for Hamburger Helper™  then another cut of meat in another form could undoubtedly do it better. Buy a small roast and knock chips off of it. Bang. Already better than hamburger. 

What follows is pure extravagance. The meal does not deserve this treatment.










Eeeew, gross me out all over the place. 







1 comment:

Rob said...

Your photos of the Parmesan couldn't have looked more delicious--and then I followed the link. But I don't care. A little detritus is a small price to pay for such great-looking cheese.

Blog Archive