lychee in lemon JELL-O fail


Tinned lychee. I had this tin in the pantry for a long time. I was interested to know what lychee is. They look nice.


Red Cock on the Mountain. Brand. 

The lid to the tin is nice too. 



So that is what they are. I tasted one. It was okay. The syrup could not be used. 





It is altogether quite ugly. Looks like mushrooms are in it. 


This is what the thing that I ate looks like. All the rest of the whipped cream.

The balsamic was impulse. I was going for the vanilla extract to whip into the cream when I noticed the balsamic. I almost substituted to see what the acid would do to the the cream once it is whipped but then decided not to test that.

I feel a little bit ill.    

Conclusion: I don't like it at all. Plain lemon JELL-O would be better. But I am not going to let this one tin and lemon JELL-O experience ruin lychees for me. They are very popular so I will keep an eye out for them in a different form and try again.

3 comments:

Jim said...

According to Wiki Lychee loose their flavour when canned and are best eaten fresh.

These are grown for ornament around here (SF Bay) and I recently walked by a gardener pruning a bunch. The air was thick with the aroma of cilantro. I took a taste and mix of sweet and cilantro was exquisite.

Synova said...

I agree those lychees looked sort of nasty. I've had fresh ones when we were in the PI. I don't buy them here, canned or not, but I do get all sorts of stuff that is lychee flavored... drinks and jellies and stuff.

Rob said...

Lychees are great, though the tinned ones tend to taste a little . . . well, tinny. Their resemblance to eyeballs ought to inspire a burst of creativity in you. Given the brand name, it occurs that they also resemble something else anatomical. Perhaps they'd be better paired with a banana than with Jell-O.

Blog Archive