Mixed meat sandwich on chickpea bread


This sandwich took 24 hours to make. Behold a moment its hand-food savory goodness.

For the full twenty-four hour ordeal the one single recurring thought that kept running through the cook's mind like a corrupted MP3 file stuck playing an endless loop over and over and over as he slogged through each step of the aimless desultory and debilitating sandwich-assembling process was, "Assemble, sandwich. Assemble."


Biga. Poolish. Prefermentation. ↑ 1/2 the water started in advance with minimal yeast.

Turned into this ↓ 18 hours later. It smells strongly of alcohol. 


A handful of chickpeas  ↓ ground to dust in the coffee mill included in the second half

That makes this dough 100% chickpea, according to industry's market-speak. 


But it is enough to color its half of the dough noticeably. 

The second half contains a full measure of yeast. No messing around today. 


New Dough meets Biga and it's love at first sight.  


Now that they are introduced, might as well lay down together and get married. 




Whispers: Let us be as one. 


It's okay, they're married.






After all that I got distracted and the loaf overproofed. I intended the loaf to go into the oven when the yeast began to enter its peak activity. I got to it late. The loaf had already peaked. This mistake would affect the shape and overall look of the finished loaf but nothing else. It turned out fine. 


Alas, for I am without lettuce. Thus lettuceless. This forces me to think of something else. 



KA-POW !







My mustard and my mayonnaise on my bread and if you think that might not make a gigantic favorable difference, well then, it's pistols at 30 paces, Buddy.  


This basil is from the grocery store. It's rooting in a glass of water and it's growing faster than I'm picking it. 




So is that thirty paces total or thirty paces each? I'm asking because I'm new to this, I never did a duel before and it seems like fifteen steps is kind of close. But then I'd hate be taking thirty steps and have you spin around at fifteen steps and shoot me expecting me to do the same. It's important to sort the details before we start out. 


Oh Man, this sandwich is good. 

No comments:

Blog Archive