Vegetable, mushroom, rice, beans soup with chicken






Fresh vegetables ↑ seen now mise en place
If you stick with the soup-making odyssey they will be seen again mise en placed.

See? Now that's just good drama.

Have you ever thought about soup assemblage not so much as closely following a recipe as pursuing an idea? And scrounging, but mostly scrounging. 

Scrounged, foraged, ↓ found and salvaged items. 

Leftovers, as it were. They do have a few positive things going for them. 

1. At some point I thought it was a good idea.
2. Whatever it is, it was cooked well. 
3. At the time it seemed worth saving
4. It was carefully handled and stored.
5. It's available now and it is instant 
6. It's already cooked
7. It's something good or it wouldn't be here.
8. It most likely won't kill me or else I'd be dead already unless there was a problem since then and  I'm pretty sure I'm not dead 
9. It's not going to be something I hate 
10. I get self-congratulatory conservation brownie points








I don't know ↓.  I was trying to get the shimmering hot oil in the pan because I think it's pretty. The camera went real close. This is a piece of the edge viewed at 100% apparently in the camera lens world this is called 1:1 but it looks a lot bigger than that.












So that's a lot of stuff innit. 

There's more:

* vegetable oil to start the vegetables
* Asian flavor liquids
   * soy sauce
   * sake rice wine
   * sugar in place of mirin
   * homemade chicken broth.  All of the remainder of the last batch
   * water
* spices
   * pepper but not salt because soy is taking that place
   * chile flakes
   * garlic powder because I don't have real garlic right now
   * ginger powder because I don't feel like dealing with the real ginger that I have right now
   * coriander powder because I love its earthy mid-tone enhancement that plays so well in chords 
   * cumin powder because I am entranced by all the wonderful sensations this exotic aroma evokes 
   * absolutely no fenugreek -- because what? -- do you think I'm insane

No comments:

Blog Archive