Gelatin with fruit cubes


I found these two boxes. They're almost the same thing. One has flavor and sugar the other one doesn't. 



The idea was to include a tin of tropical fruit and heat the syrup to activate the gelatin.  When I opened the tin I could see half of the chunks are pineapple and that will not do. They must be handled separately.

I could be wrong about that. There is pineapple flavored Jello after all. 

Cooking denatures the enzyme bromelain present in fresh pineapple which breaks down or prevents the formation of collagen. This pineapple is pressure cooked in its tin so its enzyme probably would not interfere with gelatin. I did not want to risk it so that cautious attitude prevented using the juice in the tin for the gelatin. But try it. See if it works.  


I can see how gelatin powder can be useful for other things. There are a lot of puddings and such that depend on custards setting reliably. A half a package or a whole package can assure that a cream pie sets. 

I did make a sauce out of juice in the tin. The sauce was warm and only so good as the juice is good. It was thickened with a teaspoon of corn starch and heated in the microwave. Plated, the fruit spread out and the gelatin cubes spread out even more. The heat affected the gelatin cubes. They appeared to melt. I couldn't get the cubes of fruit or the cubes of flavored gelatin to stack. That plate had sauce, whole tinned fruit, and flavored gelatin cubes. The plate couldn't be used for an upscale site like this. Wanna see

No comments:

Blog Archive