Quijote's salad


That's what you see when you open the styrofoam box except a lot brighter and fresher. This is unfair. I brought this home with other things, refrigerated it, then hours later photographed it. 

Quijote's is a small restaurant a short distance south of me on Broadway, away from the museum, away from the Capitol.  

I saw the place tucked in there as if it had been there in Mayberry since 1960's and wondered why I hadn't noticed before. I meant to go in, twice, but it was closed. Finally I checked its hours placard see they are limited. The woman inside by conversation volunteered they intend to expand to dinner hours, by her abbreviated story, based upon one customer saying, "I need you to be open." 

How accommodating. 

That would have been a composite example of one factor affecting their decision, cash flow, of course, being the unspoken main reason.

They inhabit that odd restaurant niche that is more than street food but not quite a proper restaurant. The styrofoam packages, American bento, puncture easily with sturdy plastic fork. I don't like both those picnic things. They don't fit in my backpack. That's for to-go. You can stay there if you want but you still have the styrofoam bento and plastic utensil. 

They speak Spanish to each other in there, and Spanish and English to me. They are uncommonly gracious among the already uncommonly gracious shopkeepers and clerks all along this entire street. And I mean it. That is my experience every single day.


Google Earth has made it all clear to me while creating another mystery. I have been in here before under the guise of a different restaurant. It was Luciano's before, and I am not surprised that they went out of business. *whispers* We didn't like it. It was a noisy place that seemed loosely run and the pizza made by high school hires with little training and tremendous indifference was crap. We do better at home. It was discouraging. I'm glad they're gone, and good luck to Quijote's.

The new mystery is why did Google Earth Street view show me Quijote's the first time when I typed [1055 broadway, denver, colorado] and go straight to it, then show me earlier Luciano's the second time without me doing anything different, without adjusting its history? Cool this is done, but how?

Windows on a building say so much, don't they? You can always approximate the date of the last serious renovation. 

No comments:

Blog Archive