kilebasa, napa cabbage, yellow potatoes







A few decades ago I didn't know what I was doing. I cooked these kielbasa for an inordinately long time. The casings dissolved to stickiness and the meat inside forfeited its texture to become soft as marshmallow. Right then two gents showed up at my doorstep and I invited them in for a fast dinner. One man sat with his plate in front of him and said, "I never knew that sausages can be this good." 

Since then I learned to stage the vegetables according to their expected cooking times. And I learned that other types of cabbages work too. 

These have frozen pearl onions and waxy yellow potatoes.

The seasoning in the kielbasas flavors the vegetables. Nothing else but salt and pepper were added. No garlic, no mustard, no chile, no bay leaf, all that is superfluous. The liquid becomes flavorful sauce.

1 comment:

vza said...

Perfect for a chilly day! My mom used savoy cabbage for something similar. Chop up a large head of cabbage, a medium onion, quartered yukon gold potatoes, sliced smoked sausage,kielbasa, or Italian sausage, salt, lots of pepper, butter/olive oil to coat everything. Throw it all together in a large lasagna pan. Cover tightly with foil. Oven 325 for two hours.

Blog Archive