Beans and rice, chicken wings



New way to cook rice without a rice cooker.

Start timer.

1)  10 minutes. Rinse rice seven times like a Buddhist monk ritualistically and soak the rice in any amount of water.

2) Drain rice and add back the same amount of fresh water by the cup as you have rice. Bring to a boil, cut heat to low and steam for 10 minutes.

3) Turn off the heat and let the covered pot sit there for 10 minutes. 

Why no rice cooker?

No room on my counter and my kitchen storage cabinets are full of stuff like that and I make rice the way Sueko taught me at age ten in Tokyo. I don't want to lose that connection to Sueko even though she would use one too if she were alive today.

I am digging this Haiga rice ever since I got it. I make single portions and I've never cooked this small of amounts before. I think that I have a new comfort food. 

But these chicken wings are not fun. So much trouble for so little meat. I would rather do the same thing with chicken tenders. Whoever invented these wings thing was out of all other cuts. Any other cut would be better than wings.

The guy at the Chinese grocery chops up duck so randomly it can hardly be eaten. They don't do the same thing that we do. Some pieces come out very nice while most cuts are so off the wall that half the duck is like these chicken wings, you're picking around bones for threads of meat.

The second photo shows how far I got. 

My appetite is shot. 

I can kill my appetite with just a few crackers. 

I'll reach a point where I'm hungry and motivated to make something then when I get around to it and go through the process, the urgency changed and I am no longer hungry. It's weird. I was hungry then ate this when I was not hungry and my stomach kept telling me to 
KNOCK IT OFF.

Then the unease sets in. 

The new food creates pressure and moves previous food. That movement causes me great concern and forces me into the bathroom. Then nothing happens. Psych!

That happens again. 

And again. 

And I don't like that and it causes me to eat less. 

In the mirror I can see the extra body fat melting away that kidney failure put on. I haven't weighed myself yet but I'm expecting before this over I will have lost forty pounds. This is occurring above my belt. So it will be awhile before pants size changes again. 

No comments:

Blog Archive