Flatiron, iceberg lettuce quarter, blue cheese dressing, refried beans, tortillas



I concluded Emilene's blue cheese dressing is blue cheese + buttermilk. My friend said he used to make it and they used mayonnaise too. My mayonnaise has a lot of mustard and garlic so I included it. It was excellent.  I did not use the cream cheese pictured because when I opened the package I saw I'd have to trim it heavily and I didn't feel like it, plus it would have diluted the flavor anyway without adding anything significant. So I tossed it. 


This is one of my favorite new things. If you ever see flatiron cut in your grocer's cooler, just toss it in your basket. You won't regret it. The thing is, the dry rub is entirely extemporaneous so it never tastes quite the same any two times, and that is the glory and the power you wield as extemporaneous cook. Anything less, and you are slave to proven recipe. 


Tortillas were made with regular masa harina (powdered alkaline-treated corn meal) and pressed in a common cast-aluminum press, heated in a hot pan for seconds, as much time as it takes to press the next tortilla. One cup hot water + 1 and 3/4 cup masa harina = 13 small tortillas. 

No comments:

Blog Archive