Habanero chiles





I have no immediate use for these chiles, but I picked them up with something or other in mind and now they are beginning to turn. I do have habanero sauce but that is mixed with vinegar and lacks the full round habanero flavor I seek, although it is packed with powerful overwhelming heat. The prepared sauce does not come close to the chiles I grew myself on a window sill, dried, and processed to flakes, and then added to nearly anything that could take it. How I do miss those halcyon days of yore that were a year ago.  

Habanero named for the city Havana. Sometimes spelled wrongly with a tilde over the n in a fit of hyperforeignism. The chile pepper is of  the capsicum chinense type, so called for their resemblance to Chinese paper lanterns. Sometimes habaneros are conflated with Scotch bonnets, named for their resemblance to a Scottish tam, and another variety of the same species. Now, isn't that funny? A habanero and  a Scotch bonnet are both capsicum chinense. Hahaha. Make up my mind already, you loons, those places are at divergent spots on the globe. Habaneros come in different colors. I wanted red, but all I could find around here lately is orange so that will have to do. 

Habaneros are not the hottest peppers on Earth, but how would you know that when the top of your head is blown off? I mean, come on, there is a point where the whole thing is ridiculous. I used silicone gloves to handle these things, or some kind of plastic gloves, the same kind I use when mixing plaster for bas reliefs, to make sure the alkaloids or oil or whatever the moist  part in these chiles is, does not get on my fingertips and from there carelessly transferred to more tender areas. Ask me how I know. There is a story there that my friends find quite hilarious but is not funny at all, involving my dangly bits, you can imagine the rest. 

The seeds need heat to germinate and I'm not giving it. Maybe I will. I have an electric blanket but it turns off automatically so I have to keep at it, plus it is huge. Way overkill for one little pot of seeds. Maybe I will and maybe I won't. Depends on how much of a drag it turns out to be. If I only had a proper heating pad. 

(I am getting sick and tired of forcing this stupid spellchecker to accept words.)

I could have planted the arbol chile seeds too, but you know what? They are not as fun and they are not as flavorful, and besides, I can get a package of a million of them any time for a dollar. Plus I think they grow to like five feet or something. I don't need that scraggly mess cluttering up my window. Although come to think of it, that would be a hell of a window shade. Can you imagine, plants emanating from a single pot and trained to cover an entire window?  The stems can be bent when they're tender and the unwanted branches removed. That could be a cool project. 

No comments:

Blog Archive