Black bean sourdough bread






Now I am convinced the black bean dip I had in Mexico had black squid ink in it because all black beans turn out purple or gray and theirs was jet black.

Ordinarily I would use a few tablespoons of leftover bean dip, as a treat for the yeast, but this time they get the whole thing. I have a theory about this, that beans do to live yeast cells what they do to humans, make them gassy, thus the name vulgaris, not really, that was a joke, if they are short on the enzymes that deal with it, I'm guessing here, but those last few bean-enhanced loaves sure were puffy.

One minute in microwave to bring to a boil and that's it, just enough to get the beans started and make it easier to get at. I tasted it. Delicious. Without anything in it. No salt, nothing. Delicious. 

This might be where I killed my sourdough starter, at this moment I am not sure. I am impatient and had to get going, no time to wait around for this bean sludge to cool. I did not dump it into the refreshed starter, but tempered it too quickly. I'll know soon enough if the starter is damaged. And if so, eh, what the heck, it was fun while it lasted. Besides, sourdough pets should be sturdier than that.


I would like to introduce you to a new member of the fambly.

It weighs in at 25 LB. 

I intend to eat it.

It is the third one this year. 

They're all the same.


I'll know in a few hours if you are dead, damaged or just playing possum. I doubt I will need to, in fact I expect you to jump to life, but if I need to I can always kick your butt and infuse you with eager-to-please farty regular yeast while separately in another jar, the starter slowly returns to life.

This is a cliffhanger post.

You see, we baker-types accept that you start things one day and pick up on them later, sometimes several days later. Being a baker takes a bit of planning.


Psych!

It lived, and boy, did it ever live. 

I could make bread out of this right now, one giant loaf that would make large sandwiches and its slices not fit in the toaster, or two loaves, and they would be great, and they would taste like sourdough to you. But if I leave it to cool and then later warm up again, it will be even better than that, more outstanding on top of regular outstanding, and that is impossible to beat.

No comments:

Blog Archive