precious little breakfast, eggs, ham and toast

Tomagoyaki. Japanese dashi egg roll. Rolled egg, not the usual stuffed egg roll. The beaten eggs are mixed with mirin, sugar, and dashi. And these light flavor enhancements make all the difference in the world. More so than the unusual pan. YouTube videos demonstrate the same ingredients and the same technique using a circular pan.


* 1 tablespoon mirin
* 1 level tablespoon sugar
* 4 tablespoons dashi (that's 1/4 cup. YouTube demonstration uses 1/2 cup for 6 eggs. My eggs today are unusually small)


I cannot do the flip technique. It's a left-handed flip guided by chopsticks in the right hand. Nothing flips when I try it. So far I've failed.


Ham and bread fried in the same pan. Bread toasted with the same oil instead of butter. 

The photo reminds me of the flying toasters screensaver.

Only 1/3 of the tomagoyaki was used here. The remaining 2/3 is chilled, probably for sushi later. The thing is, I'm meeting with two friends to brew 10 gallons of beer at 11:00, during the lull I'll order a pizza. So that's coming up in a few hours and I wanted something light. This amounts to 1.5 eggs, 3 thin slices of sandwich ham and 1 small square of toast.

No comments:

Blog Archive