pineapple, bacon, jalapeño pizza



The kids who populate nearby Floyd's barber shop are precious. Adults work there too but it's the kids who are precious. 

I literally raced over there to be there before the delivery guy who doesn't know we are racing. I was walking poorly yesterday. My legs weren't obeying. I lost the race. Outside, I saw him ahead of me go in, and I encountered some confusion when I entered. "That was me. I ordered that. It's for them." Nobody understood. It didn't make sense to the delivery guy nor to the people behind the counter nor to the customers waiting and seeing this sudden bustle of activity.

I love that type of confusion. 

I tipped the guy half the cost of the pizza and that changed his attitude immediately. He saw then what was going on before the new workers there realized they were being gifted a gigantic pizza. 

And not just any ordinary pizza either, the best that's conceivable, for me at this point. I didn't hold back using their build your own options with each addition increasing the cost considerably.

The thing is, I ordered the standard pizza that I think is best when George and Paul made their beer downstairs at CoBrew, but we didn't get to it right away. It sat there for fifteen minutes unattended and I must say, it wasn't all that splendid when we finally ate it. And that made me rethink the whole thing. 

So I changed my standard order for Floyds to the type pizza that I make for myself. I love LOVE LOVE pineapple as main ingredient, and I cannot even think of pizza without roasted jalapeño. The meat then can be anything but ham is the preference, but not just any ol' ham, it must be good top deli ham, or just forget the whole thing. 

I never saw what Denver Pizza Co did with my order, I didn't look at the pizza they delivered to Floyd's, so I don't know if they used fresh pineapple and I don't know what their Canadian bacon looks like. I have only an idea how that would taste. But that was the closest approximation that was possible. 

And the kids went nuts. Beautifully, so appreciative, they comped my haircut. They don't have to do that but they're so thrilled a customer even thinks of them it's their way of returning the favor. Their enthusiasm, their response to something so simple is what makes them so beautiful, so precious. While the adults are all, eh, that again. I'll take the kids any day over the adults. 

The rest of the day I was thinking about that pizza. 

I'd make one myself for them so that they can see the difference, but I cannot carry it over there even though they're just across the street. If I ever get that worked out then I might do it. Whether or not I have an appointment. That would be tricky to time. 

One of the young men whom I've never spoken with nor ever had for a barber came out from behind a wall and thanked me for making his day, again, as I always do. He said these pizzas pop up right when he's starving. That's funny to me because young males are always starving so that's a biological impulse that's easy to satisfy. I mentioned that I ordered the type that I make for myself and he responded to the girls, that's an idea to try. He had never made his own pizza. He had never made bread dough. 

I'm getting the idea that I could teach people pizza-making to their lasting satisfaction. 

Think, think, think, think, think. 

Oh man, now I want a pineapple and ham with jalapeño pizza.

But I only have tinned pineapple around here, and my deli ham is all gone.

The tinned pineapple is insipid. And soaked. It is not an inspiring ingredient. While the bacon is the best that bacon gets. I figured the ten minutes it takes on high temperature to bake the pizza would be about right for the bacon. And that turned out to be perfect. With less ingredients, no mushroom, no red bell pepper, no olives, no mozzarella, just regular but very good very strong flavored cheese, this turns out to be one of the better versions on the same theme. It's a very VERY good pizza.

The tired old fogies who declaim with positive insistence that pineapple doesn't belong on pizza don't know what they're declaiming about. It's just one more method of spotting a dope. 

No comments:

Blog Archive