Pasta alfredo primavera carbonara


Whatever.

There is no such thing. And these noodles are too thin.

Frankly, I don't know what to call this. All I know is it's simply the most delicious pasta dish I've ever tasted. My lunch date agreed. She helped make it. It's a bit of everything all at once, and it's simply outstanding. Perhaps complexly outstanding. It starts with great ingredients.

* Hand made pasta noodles using semolina and whole grain home-milled flour coated, after being cooked, with a boat load of grated parmigiano reggiano. OK fine. Maybe half a boat load. A small boat. A toy boat. Half a toy boat full, how's that then?

* Alfredo sauce with garlic, habanero flakes, nutmeg and grated parmigiano reggiano.

* Chubby snow peas, yellow sweet pepper, sweet onion chopped roughly and cooked briefly in microwave.

* Fresh tomato, fresh basil

* Fresh egg, coddled briefly in acidified hot swirling pasta water.

The yolk of the warm egg which sits atop a nest of pasta mixed with vegetables, forms a rich sauce secondary to the Alfredo sauce that was poured directly onto the plate. So you end up with herbaceous vegetable laden pasta layered between rich sauces. Extraordinary. I was so sad when it was all gone. I wanted to lick my plate, but that would have been rude and there's always tomorrow.

When I make this again I'll avoid 50% milled flour and 50% semolina-- too fragile. Better to use something like 25% milled, 25% AP flour, 50% semolina. Not better tasting, but better cohesion and tensile noodle strength. This is true no matter what width the pasta is cut.

No comments:

Blog Archive