Crackers and blue cheese



This was dinner.

The cheese is some kind of Swiss blue. The tone of the cheese guy's voice was not recommending by his answer to my questions, "Well, if you like it strong ... then okay." I do like it strong. I mean, come on, what's the point of blue cheese otherwise? I was actually looking for Stilton, the creamy kind that comes in a crock. Not to be found in the places I've looked here in town. But I haven't given up. I must broaden my search. Oh, I can find plenty of the hard kind, but that's not what I want. Maytag matches any of those. Including this. I'm not complaining, mind you, it's just that I know what I want for my crackers, and it is dinner.

* 2 cups A/P flour
*1/2 cup WW flour
*1/2 cup olive oil
*1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 to 1 cup water
processed
rested
rolled out thickly this time
seasoned on top
scored but not cut
docked with the tines of a fork
baked at 375℉ / 190℃ for 11 minutes (mine needed a few extra minutes to dehydrate completely)
yield: two standard half baking trays plus a little extra that made about 1/3 of a tray.

3 comments:

Synova said...

I'm going to try this cracker recipe too.

What makes them bubble?

My first crackers weren't crispy in the middle of the cookie sheet though the edges were getting brown. (But they were very yummy so none were left over.) I'm going to try rolling them out in smaller batches so the edges aren't so close to the edge of the sheet this time. Hopefully that helps the edges from browning before the middle is crispy.

Chip Ahoy said...

The first tray of these bubbled because I forgot to dock them with a fork. Let's out the air. That's okay, I like bubbles sometimes.

If the edges brown before the center of the tray, I'd try reducing the heat a little and bake for longer. Also, I've found rolling thinner tends to even out baking.

This is where convection comes in handy. You can also try turning the tray, inserting into oven the long way so that air moves around better. I noticed they cook much faster on the top rack than on a lower rack.

Chip Ahoy said...

You can also remove the outer ones that are browning then return the center crackers to the oven for a few more minutes.

Blog Archive