Spaghetti and meatballs



Late night dinner. Very late. As late as can be without being morning. 

Alas, for I am spaghetti sauceless. But there are tins of tomato sauce in the pantry that were picked up by way of mistaken identity. The procuring agent, that would be myself, thought they were tinned tomatoes and I've been living with a case of them ever since. I am also tomato pasteless, so a tin of tomato sauce was seasoned and reduced to spaghetti sauce. The tin of tomato sauce reduced so rapidly and concentrated so intensely that the liquid had to be supplemented with a cup of pasta water. It all formed as decent a marinara sauce as I've ever had. I never did understand the claim that sauce had to be simmered for hours and that it improved over time. 

The meatballs are fried, so they tend to flatten. There are no breadcrumbs and no milk. Instead, dried beans were processed to dust in a coffee grinder and took the place of bread. This is a meatball experiment, you see. Some of the tomato sauce was added directly to the meatball mixture and constituted the only liquid except for one egg, if an egg counts for liquid, along with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce not pictured. That was the second part of the meatball experiment. 

The flavors are intense in both the meatballs and the sauce. 

Disclosure laws compel me to state tomato sauce is not my favorite thing for pasta. I have always wondered why it holds first place for America's choice, and I consider it something a duty to displace it from that position in favor of nearly anything else. Yet, here I am with a case of tomato sauce and the only other option, and it not a bad option actually, is to give them all away. 






Sorry about the blur . Thought I nailed that one.






No comments:

Blog Archive