Chicken sandwich with cilantro


I have really been grooving on this bread that somebody else made. 

This is the first loaf of bread I bought in years. It's puffy. The package says '100% whole grains' and there are obvious whole grains right there on the surface for all to see, but that is a marketing ploy. This is almost entirely refined-wheat white bread even though its color is brown. I can tell by the crumb. We baker-types speak like that. We use words like 'crumb' instead of texture, but that is what it means. I can tell by the texture this bread is refined-wheat white bread maybe with a few silo sweepings thrown in for good measure. If this bread really was whole grain even up to 25% whole grain, any grain, then it would be a lot heavier. A LOT heavier. This bread is very close to Wonder® bread. They get away with those marketing claims because industry language is different from regular language, and purposefully so. It was fun while it lasted, being all pre-sliced and everything, which incidentally is an actionable tort in the baker's world -- see what I did there? -- but I sure wouldn't want to live on this bread. The value pursued here which works out for everyone is making a lot of bread and making it fast and doing it inexpensively as possible and still be a substance that can make a claim to being bread. But making bread fast is antithetical to what bakers do. Real bakers, not employees that bake. 

* Chicken roasted by me
* Mayonnaise by me
* Mustard by me
* Bread by some faceless special someone unknown and unknowable, placed at a station along the conveyors and flywheels of industry. But the place smells awesome!





cilantro↑
more cilantro↓ 




No comments:

Blog Archive