Kobe burger


Kobe beef is what the sign said at Tony's, but we know that to be 

...


...


...


...



Lies ! All LIES !

Kobe style maybe but not probably. This is Wagyu beef crossed with Angus. 

My friend asked me why I called it Wagyu instead of Kobe when the sign said Kobe. I answered Kobe is a place name, Wagyu is a breed name and left it at that but the affront is much worse. 

Kobe beef is extravagant. This is domestic Wagyu, expensive but not extravagant and that is pretty much all that can be said of it. 

Kobe beef is" 

* born and raised in Hyōgo Prefecture.  The Mountains of the Japanese islands led to areas of isolated breeding producing herds that developed qualities that differ significantly.   

* castrated steer

* processed in Hyōgo Prefecture

* marbling ratio 6+

* meat quality score 4 or 5  I have no idea what this or the previous marbling designation means but it is apparently outside the USDA designations even for U.S. Prime. 

* specific maximum weight

Most of all, and you can spot this a mile away blindfolded with your eyes tied behind your back and wearing darkened sunglasses and with a black cloth hood pulled over your head,  unless the beef starts out looking like this then it isn't Kobe beef. This is what domestic Kobe-style or Wagyu/Angus are claiming to be.  


Wikipedia photo.

Let me put it another way. The difference is zero between the Tony's Kobe hamburger pictured at top and the 20% fat hamburger I cooked yesterday here at home. Don't get me wrong, I do like Tony's hamburger, but it is not Kobe beef. 

No comments:

Blog Archive