Lamb strips



This is what's left of a frozen lamb roast.

A disc removed from this.

Which means there's more where this disc came from.



A nosh. I go to the freezer, take out some lamb, cook it, put the rest back.

And that led me to thinking about those coyotes and foxes and raccoons that head out at night and kill my friend's peacocks for their dinner. One after another. Night after night. Peacock, chicken, Guinea fowl, peacock, chicken Guinea fowl, peacock peacock peacock until there is only one peacock left and that one doesn't even have those big feathers in the back because they all fell out. So kind of plain looking except for that ridiculous thing on its head and still rather large. 

And my friend said his neighbor sold some prime acreage next to his and my friend made a full offer right off because it would have been a nice addition and he's buying a bunch of land out there, but the neighbor said, this came out later and through a break in confidentiality, the seller said, "I aint sellin' my land to that guy." My friend is certain it's because he's gay, and that negative attitude is illegal around here when it affects real estate deals, there is little comfort in my assessment, I said to my friend, "No, it was probably because of your silly pansy-ass peacocks." 

Harsh, he had already suffered a series of losses.

But I should probably mention, the lamb is cut against the grain like the London broil is cut so that only short muscle fibers remain. That goes a long way in making these strips tender as can be. The strips are like very tall stacks of short muscle fiber, and they pull right apart.

Also, for a coating to be crispy then leave out milk and use water instead. This is soda water like tempura. Soda water and seasoned flour is mixed to a thick paste, then additional soda water is whisked in incrementally until a thin batter forms.

Also also, the pieces are dusted first so the batter sticks on, and most of the batter MOST OF IT is gently rubbed OFF before dropping into the hot oil. It's a very thin coating. Thinner than you might think. And it's rubbed off. Not just dripped off. Speeds it up. Close to the hot oil. To limit the mess. An egg white is whisked in there too I forgot to mention that, but not an egg yolk. And a ton of spices. Or possibly a tablespoon. 

No comments:

Blog Archive