Breakfast burrito, chicken avocado,

The lad behind the counter seems a Central American version of a clean-cut well groomed and exceedingly well mannered all-American teen. His mother, I take it, a gracious woman. Their restaurant simple and spotlessly clean their work area visible with people at work preparing orders behind the counter in a space built for pizza at least twice as large as needed at full capacity presently and with large metal work tables mostly unused surface. 

So far the customers I encountered behave like they're caught doing something. Not doing anything actually, their vibes are off kilter. Like I walked into their den but that is their own insecurity ringing through. One woman, yesterday I'd like to have complemented her on her shoes, gave her back to me the whole time we both waited. Quite rude. Quite insecure. Even when conversing with another, even moving around the whole space, checking out photos and everything printed.  I saw nothing but her back and the backs of her outstanding shoes. Others just look up from their table like, "caught me." So far, it's been odd vibes from customers and genuine glowing warmth from the mother, I take it, and son. 

They also parece muy autentico. Written on a chalkboard yesterday special was ceviche and squid tacos. Daring. Unusual for these Western parts. I should have bought some. 


2 comments:

Rob said...

Of course she kept her back to you; she thought you were La Migra. Next time lose the Trump button.

Chip Ahoy said...

She was a black woman. An office worker. The rest was blue jean jacket and packages.

The herd of women before her, and I mean herd, were all quite heavy. Their bulk suddenly filled the space. All of them emanate a "caught ya!" vibe, caught you buying another sack of burritos and now we know how the bulk is maintained.

The vibes of the white guy looking up from his table like I busted him at his secret breakfast fueling station.

So far, only three visits, the vibes I pick up from customers encountered there are uncomfortable and maybe it's just me.

There are no political buttons. Not a member of any such a club. I have a t-shirt with boy scout merit badges sew on because I like the pictures. I was a terrible scout myself. Another club not really for me.

I got a cooking merit badge. Swimming, camping, the basics. So, not exactly stolen valor but it has been awhile since doing those requirements.

Oh man, I just now flashbacked to the officer's pool at Tachikowa AFB. Part of the test was: wear long pants, jump in pool, take our pants off in the pool, a thing about scouts, always taking off your pants, while treading water tie knots in the legs. While treading and pants bundle behind you flip them over your head filling your wet pants like a pant legs balloons and float on them. The idea is stop freaking out all the time just because you're in water. You can rest if you want to. Imagine little kids in a pool doing that. Kept us out of real trouble.

Blog Archive