Souvlaki with cucumber, garbanzo bean salad


The tzatziki sauce is good. Dressing unnecessarily vinegary. Lamb is what it is. 

The ladies do a good job. They make these at home and sell them from a case a few doors down. The thing is, a proper burrito made by proper Mexicans speaking Spanish amongst themselves is another half long block distant, and another proper Mexican restaurant similarly run by a Mexican family 1/2 short block around the corner. As for Souvlaki and gyros and the rest, Melita's is another 1/2 short block, so one full short block and one half long block distant and it is very good too.

I worry for them. I don't see how they can stay in business. Having said that both times I was there somebody came in after me and went straight to what they came in for. And that whole place that was such a flea bag slum is now bustling with new business and crawling with people on all levels. It's an odd architectural arrangement that used to be a run down motor hotel. Now the entire front is glass, each apartment or two together transformed into business space. A haircut for men in one of the places was $40.00, the same I was paying my onetime hairdressing friend, whereas across the street the same thing for $21.00 and they do a very nice job of it. A new coffee place I hadn't heard of before is an instant hit too. The place attracts the desired spending demographic. The change has altered the whole neighborhood.

Melita's is one of my favorite places around here. I can get a giant plate of gyros with fresh hot greasy pita and a huge pile of crispy French fries. I just talked myself into walking to Melita's tomorrow. 



Have a sunset.

No comments:

Blog Archive