sweet potato waffle




This is one medium size sweet potato cubed and boiled.

I smashed the sweet potato directly in the waffle maker and that did not work very well. 

The sweet potato, first boiled then waffled was turned out of the waffle maker into a mixing bowl with ingredients to turn it into a waffle batter.

* one medium sweet potato cubed and boiled
* 1 cup of cold milk (I didn't measure. I just kept adding until I had a thick consistency.
* 1/4 cup all purpose flour (didn't measure this either. 2 heaping tablespoons)
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla (didn't measure, could be two teaspoons)
* 2 tablespoons Lyle's Gold syrup (obviously didn't measure, just drizzled)

Here's where it gets strange. I ran out of baking powder. There was only a tiny amount left in the container.

* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.

This wasn't enough. So I made my own baking powder with baking soda and citric acid (used for making cheese. I could have use cream of tartar, a tartaric acid but citric acid sounded better because that's used in soft drinks. 

* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon citric acid

These turned out very nice. The batter became foamy. A lot more batter was put into the waffle maker than the instructions recommend. They say, 3/4 to 1 cup of batter, but this was first 1 + 1/2 cup and the second one a measured 1 cup, and they still do not fill to the edges. They are light as air. 

No comments:

Blog Archive