One three-LB cabbage fit into two quart jars. 

Three tablespoons of salt five pounds of cabbage. 

So, how much salt for 3 pounds of cabbage?

Both 5 and 3 can be multiplied to 15. So multiply both top and bottom of three over five: 9/15

3 tablespoons salt / 5 pounds of cabbage

Equals:

9 tablespoons salt / 15 pounds cabbage. 

Divide top and bottom by 5

1.8 teaspoons salt / 3 pounds cabbage

Maths! 

Since 1.8 is so close to 2 I used two teaspoons of salt. 

And my Brittany Celtic sea salt is less soda-chloride-y and more mineral-y so I made them heaping teaspoons. And they still didn't produce very much water. I had to add water to the jars. 

This has ginger and thinly sliced red bell pepper. And that's all. No black pepper, no fennel seeds, no mustard seeds, no allspice seeds, no seeds at all. No turmeric. Just ginger. 

Because I'm really digging ginger right now. 

When it's done fermenting, I'll add sugar to adjust the taste to my preference. And I'll probably add citric acid to get the taste away from that weird lactic acid taste produced by the process. These will not be stored. In a few days they'll go into the refrigerator and they'll both be gone in a week or two. Maybe three. 









No comments:

Blog Archive