Burger Fi, chicken tenders, double burger with jalapeño, French fries

















The boy is waking up. 

The couple placed their order then set the boy on his feet.

The woman walked with the boy who stopped at the first table in front of the counter. "Is this where you want to be?" The boy didn't answer, he just proceeded to settle in. When he turned my direction he has the most cherubic face I've ever seen on a child. He looks perfect. The perfect child model face. Quiet. Well-behaved. Satisfied with settling in with no scavenging around.

Within a few minutes the man holding him passed by my table to use the drink dispensing machine. I asked as he passed me, "Is that your boy?"

"Yes."

"He's the most beautiful child I've seen all year." 

I don't know if that's true. I just said it. The man was very well pleased to hear such a thing from a stranger. "We really lucked out in the kid-business." 

Now, here is an avenue to engage further. I'm certain with a just one more remark from me he would open up about how the boy is so well behaved or whatever. But I didn't.

He returned to the table and I noticed his wife look over at my table. He told her what I said. 

And that told me remarks like that really do mean something to parents. They like people noticing how beautiful their child is. And I suppose it makes a parent a bit worried at the same time. They must be thinking, what am I doing looking at their child. 

Eh, I'm looking at everyone. You win. 



No comments:

Blog Archive