Cherry pie




Single serving cherry pie.

These were on sale at the grocery store for 49¢.

I expected it to be gross but it's actually rather good.

It reminded me of my niece's wedding reception in Iowa.

In a barn!

How outlandish. Who even heard of such a thing?

My nephew told me it's actually rather common.

Tiniest church I ever saw.


Lie.

I saw tinier churches but not holding weddings.

For the reception my sister made 400 tiny pies. 


They could have been turnovers, but no, these were pies. 

Here's the thing about shrinking pies to individual size.

You have to shrink the thickness of the crust as well. Or else the pie will be mostly crust.

My sister made regular thickness pie crust so that left only enough room for a teaspoon of filling. 

Everybody loved them.

Loved LOVED LOVED them. 

This created a bit of a problem because my sister-in-law loved them too and she and my brother both watch their sugar intake. They're both extremely food-conscious. Food-elitists, actually. So my sister-in-law grooving on these pies on the way home was cause for concern for my brother who doesn't want his wife turning fat. 

Nag. Nag. Nag. 

They also used a tractor to make the ice cream!

Now, you've heard of Kitchen Aid mixers with special attachments, but I've never heard of a tractor with an ice cream attachment. But there it was right in front of my eyes. The two old dudes who did this were all, "Oh yeah, we do this all the time." 


This manufactured pie has appropriately shrunken thin crust. When re-heated in a regular oven back to original tenderness, then the whole pie is excellent with appropriate crust to filling ratio. 

I should have bought more. There was a whole pile of them.

And that tells me to check out that goofy somewhat hidden side aisle inside the store for more excellent discounted items. You never know what you will find in there. Crap they want to get rid of. 

1 comment:

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

We get those pies all the time here in Texas. There is one brand we avoid for the reason you stated. The crust was too thick. Can't think of the name of it now.

And if you've never had tractor ice cream, my guess is you never had a tractor turn a pig on a spit over coals. While it's good, the pig has to be so trussed up that there is not enough crispy skin as far as I am concerned.

The joy's of growing up in Ohio farmland!

Blog Archive