Zeps Epiq Sandwiches, French dip


It's called Breckenridge on their menu and it has a bunch of stuff on it that French dips do not have.
17. BRECKENRIDGE BOURBON STEAK DIP
Grilled steak, sharp cheddar, mushrooms & caramelized onions finished with Breckenridge Bourbon, horseradish sauce on a baguette and au jus for dipping
$12.00
The place is on the corner of my block and I don't know why I don't go in there more often. I told the lad working there that I woke up hungry for a French dip so looked for them near me online. Plenty of results but nothing that I was familiar with and everything involved heavy traffic and problems parking. But this one did not show up and it does match the description of French dip except with a lot of extra ingredients.

"French dip?"

     "Yes. It's one of those those things intended to make use of stale bread. But Americans make them with fresh bread and there goes the whole raison d'ĂȘtre."

"Raison d'ĂȘtre?"

     "Yes. Its reason for being. When the bread is not stale there is no reason to moisten it. But we do anyway for a huge sopping mess."

I love young people. They're adorable.

At any rate, the sandwich and broth is too salty. And the tater tots are a lot better than I anticipated. The bread is excellent and so is the beef. It's a very good sandwich.

But I think I can do better by getting a larger steak sandwich from Taste of Philly and dipping it into my own beef broth. But they have only potato chips. And their drinks are more limited.

No comments:

Blog Archive