Chicken soup with avocado

Oh, my God, I have been transported, but do know what? Heaven is colder than I imagined.

The French word "fond" means bottom, back, depth, bosom, heart, inwardness, essence, body, bed, substance, gist, background, supply, and crux. In cooking the word is used to denote stock. To English speaking cooks the word fond means the crunchy bits that are stuck to a pan, one that allows things to stick when something is fried. These little nuggets can be easily lifted off the pan with a liquid, usually wine or stock, or just plain water, a method called deglazing. The carbonized bits tend to dissolve in the lifting liquid contributing great depth of flavor. In English it also means I wuv you. This is a fond soup by all three senses of the word; stock, stuck on carbonized bits, and deep affection.

les ingrédients


* Not pictured, a knob of butter and a drizzle of olive oil.

* Also not pictured, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper.

* The frozen things are turkey stock, chicken breast, and beans.

* Two esteemed members of the allium family, onion and garlic. Just one clove of the garlic is used, and about 1/4 of the onion.

* Fresh ingredients, the illustrious avocado (half of it) and versatile tomato.

The chicken breast was sliced into strips and sauteed in butter w/olive oil along with a little dry thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. The small amount of liquid exuded from the chicken mixed with the oils but the strips managed to brown nonetheless within this bubbling mixture which eventually dried. Meanwhile the frozen turkey stock was heating in another pan to which the frozen beans were added whereupon they thawed while the stock began to boil. The browned chicken strips (about 4.5 minutes) were removed from the pan immediately upon browning and added to the pot with the beans. Onions were added to the pan, actually a little before the chicken was done browning because there was enough room, and then lastly crushed garlic, these two last ingredients sopped up all the remaining oil. Leftover white wine from the previous meal, no longer wine pleasant to drink but more akin to vinegar but not quite as sour, was used to deglaze the pan, because I hate to waste things even a little off-flavored wine and because I'm insane! The brown liquid, charred bits and all, onion and crushed garlic, and what little liquid remained, were added to the pot.

The avocado and tomato were sliced but not cooked. They were placed in a serving bowl and the soup, which had cooked an entire minute, was poured over top.


Notice how the turkey stock darkened?  That's from the fond.

If I served this in a restaurant, I would charge $15.00 because a ticket to heaven should be no less, and where else are you ever going to get such a thing? Nowhere!

I ate this like a creature that has been starved. Come to think of it, I was starved. Now my lips are sticky, as if I applied chicken Chapstick™. I wish I had more. Oh wait. I can make this whenever I want! * glees *

Notice there is no bread. I don't miss it. My bread, the best I ever eat, is presently on the balcony in a large container in sponge form. I'm bringing it in and out to control its temperature. I'm surprised how steady it is. It has a lot of bubbles and now my new theory is those bubbles make my sponge act like an organic insulating material, which is making my job a lot easier.

No comments:

Blog Archive