Duck

Teal.


They're small.






Ha ha ha. Just kidding. They're small, but not that small. Aren't they cute?

I asked you a question! Aren't they cute?




Two friends, who for security reasons must remain nameless but whose initials are Bill Matlock and Randy Beineke ... oops.  Goddamnit  ...  gave me a veritable meat locker full of wild game. 

My impulse is to smoke the duck, but alas, I am smokerless. My second impulse is to roast them elevated above a grille, but alas, I am barbequeless. Therefore, I baked them for 35 minutes on high. Thawed, the duck has a strong game aroma that fills the entire kitchen with an intimidating scent of wild game. I wondered how I might complement that without conflicting or destroying it. I meditated on this, opening my mind and allowing thoughts to free-associate without pushing them, to fly around my head in and out, bouncing around my cranium, which for me is surprisingly easy to do.

Ooooooouuummmm. Ooooooouuummmm. Ooooooouuummmm. ding.

Honey.

Honey and habanero flakes.

No salt, no pepper, no wine, no herbs de provence, no italian spices, no proprietary blends, no curry, no sauce, no marinade,  just honey for sweetness, and habanero flakes for POW, careful not to overdo it with either, especially the pow.

The lettuce and the vegetables were lightly sprinkled with rice vinegar then drizzled with duck fat. See? oil + vinegar.

Was it good?

Yes. Very. They are so good I must give them a name.  I will call them Canard au miel et habanero chile, then again maybe I'll settle for Teal and honey. They were this VVV good.



I sucked those tiny bones like an artist at bone-sucking. But now, I am sad. I had to brush my teeth and floss to get the duck bits out that were stuck in there from scraping this carcass so voraciously like an untamed animal and now the wonderful flavor of duck has been displaced by the less wonderful taste of Crest™. 

:-(

I noticed in the mirror the whole bottom of my face was smudged with grease. I'm a dog.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable. You, not the duck.

No salt??? I don't understand.

Chip Ahoy said...

I have sea salt at the table, which is really quite good. Sometimes I reach in and get a few grains just to taste the minerals. I figured I'd sprinkle it at the table if it needed any. It was fine and quite flavorful without it.

Blog Archive