Clay baker


I've given up waiting for the stoneware cloches designed specifically for baguettes.

Don't you just love new toys? I got two new things today. This clay baker, which I already used four times, for four separate loaves of NorthWest sourdough bread, and a new Nikon lens, their Nikkor 50mm f1.4, which is awesome. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it expertly.

‹rant›
I ordered Sassafras™ cloche from Amazon. They said it was backordered and they'd notify me when available. I waited two months. What the heck, I wasn't in a hurry. Then they notified me they weren't going to carry the item any longer, which nullified my having waited. I was trying to take advantage of Prime customership which involved free two-day (ha ha) shipping. So the joke was on me. So. I ordered from another vendor that indicated the item was available. I waited. Again was notified the item is backordered and was provided a delivery date of a month distant. I waited not so patiently. Then the notified the date was moved back another month. That was a month ago.
‹/rant›

That whole time I was checking out what is available on eBay. Nothing really close to a cloche specifically for baguettes, but they do have lots of clay bakers for chickens, roasts and such. Not really the right shape so I debated internally while time elapsed. Eventually I decided to go with eBay, and I couldn't be more pleased. This closed cloche designed for chickens is perfect for bread, when inverted so to avoid the raised ribs designed to elevate the bird above its juices.


No comments:

Blog Archive