Lamb meat loaf, ersatz gyros




The problem with the gyros here was texture and insufficient fat. That and the fact it wasn't roasted on a spit. Online instruction direct the cook towards more of a meat loaf which at first I resisted.

There sure was a lot of that lamb. Still have some left frozen. And the pork too. This is ground lamb, pork, and beef. All very low in fat, and that will not do. Added olive oil, and to retain whatever fat those meats contain and the oil supplemented, I added my own sourdough breadcrumbs, along with a few eggs and some milk. Plus Worcestershire sauce s/p. Instead of shrinking, the meat actually puffed up like a loaf of bread. It's utterly delicious, but it's hardly gyros. Therefore, it must be considered a meatloaf -- the best meatloaf I've ever tasted. No brag. Just fact.

The sauce here is catsup and Worcestershire and I'm not going to do that again. I still have my own tzatziki so there is no point in using this second-rate red menace.

This batch produced two of these meatloaves. It was totally worth the effort of grinding and mixing the meat. If I would have added diced onion, I'd sweat them first to cause them to shrink before being packed into the loaf.

No comments:

Blog Archive