Breakfast, eggs, jalapeños, cheese, fried potato


This is the sort of thing I do all the time, so you see it here all the time. Today, the leftover baked potato neglected for a day on the dining table following a dinner party is used before they become completely worthless. This proves it is hard to kill a potato. A gigantic container of fresh jalapeño peppers also left several surplus so two of those are used too. Most of the inner membrane with almost all the seeds of the chile peppers were left intact and discarded as a complete bunch of seeds. That left very little seed-holding membrane remaining on the flesh, so these two chile peppers were disappointingly insufficiently hot with capsaicin. This teaches me -- now what does it teach me? -- to leave more of the membrane, to allow more of the seeds, to get over my seed eating aversion, to take more care to include more membrane, to supplement with cayenne or habanero, to not care so much about  capsaicin heat. I don't know. 

The photos tell the sequence by themselves.

Before that, here is an update on the Easter basket bags, an email from Deena, the building manager. She would be the only person I know about who would connect the Egyptian boxes to me. I almost left it out of her bag but then that would cheat her out of my chocolates just to keep a secret so I weighed one against the other and chose forfeiture of my own anonymity over chocolate withholding from her. In these small ways I am such a martyr in my mind. 
I think the Easter Bunny stopped at my place while I was gone….it was awesome!
Regards,
Deena McDonald 
This tells me she traveled on Easter and returned Monday night for work on Tuesday, today. That she plays along and says Easter Bunny instead of addressing me directly implies she intends to keep my identity secret. She's quite good about discretion. That is, should anybody inquire and they probably will with the assumption that every resident got a bag, then her answer will be coy "the Easter Bunny." And that tickles me silly. I am also very well chuffed that the bag sat there for two full days without being stolen. This partially reaffirms my faith in humanity although I hold open the option to remain cynical about it.  











So it's all about mise en place then in'nit. What is that Boy Scout's motto again? Oh yes, "Always be prepared." That always seemed like such vacuous nonspecific unhelpful prescription. Be prepared for what? Everything? Do you realize how burdensome that is for the youthful developing male mind? It means to carry a condom in your wallet even though it might be years before you have the chance to use it. Nothing as useful as "Always chose #2 pencil over #3 or #4" or "Tie a double slip knot for securely laced shoes." But here the motto actually is helpful, necessary in fact.








2 comments:

Laughingdog said...

What kind of cheese was that?

Chip Ahoy said...

Laughingdog, the short answer is, Mexican.

That up there is queso blanco, a Mexican white cheese. Very non-descript. The package which was not helpful at all also said quesodillo [little cheese (m)], The brand name is El Viajero, the wayfarer or the traveler. I bought it from Sam's club which here in Denver targets a Latin market. It was a chance that worked out really well. It has become one of my favorites. There are several types of Mexican white cheese, the Oaxacan (wa-Ha-kan) type is famed. The Mennonites also moved south to Mexico and produced a melting white cheese that is very good.

Here is a useful guide to Mexican cheeses

Blog Archive