Potato salad


Now that I am having one of these hotdogs unadorned I realize they are not all they are cracked up to be. Bland actually. Then I realized it really should have at least a little mustard. And then I realized the potatoes should have mustard too. I forgot the mustard. 

I never much cared for potato salad. I always thought of it as one of those cop out picnic things. But I always had it with mayonnaise, and it really is not very good that way. Consider bacon or pancetta and possibly using the fat. Like all dressings consider something sweet, like pickle relish. Especially for kids. These are plain. With mustard, then the dressing would have two vinegars, the one added to acidify the olive oil, and the vinegar within the mustard. The dressing is added hot to potatoes that are hot. If the potatoes cool down before the dressing is added, then you've lost the chance for maximum dressing-absorption. 

These potatoes are very small, but not as small as fingerlings. 








The paper slips right off.


Now that the plant's cells are damaged, stored enzymes are released and  perform their fitting and unlocking action that triggers the breakdown of sulfur compounds, chiefly diallyl disulfide and allicin and then imparting that potency to whatever they come into contact, fat, fingers, esophagus, hair, kittens, chia pets, etc.


The garlic is smashed to open, expose, and combine the sulfide compounds that make garlic what it is. The smashier, the more flavor. FACT ! The garlic flavors the oil and then it is removed before it browns, because what?, do you think we're insane over here?  



This is where I went wrong. I spaced out the mustard. How could I? I'm stupid, that's how. 

Red bell pepper added on impulse. Celery because I had the end of a stalk. Sweet onions because I love them so. 


As already mentioned, but it is worth repeating, the potatoes are HOT and so is the dressing. 



You know, this potato salad would be pretty good if only had a little whole-grain mustard or something. 

No comments:

Blog Archive