Scallops, pasta


This is one of my favorite things because it is so fast and easy. The scallops are still frozen hard. They're zapped for 30 seconds, still frozen but not as hard. In their frozen state they are cut to smaller pieces. This is a strange thing to do with large sea scallops valued for their size. Better to just use smaller bay scallops for this, but I used what I have and what I have is sea scallops. 


You know what else is weird? This is the second time today I set up a shot and then neglected to take the shot. I'm losing my mind. Okay then, imagine a plate with: 

*  a pile of chopped up sea scallops
*  a pile of diced onion, and 
*  a small pile of chopped garlic. 

The little mise en place is held for the pasta to cook al dente. A colander awaits in the sink along with an empty coffee mug. When the pasta nearly done but not completely soft then the pasta water is poured first into the mug until it fills and then through the colander as the pasta is dumped. Now there is a cup of reserve starchy pasta water used to form a sauce. Remember:

butter + flour + flavored liquid = gravy
fat + acid = simple dressing

Consider then, in the same pot that the pasta evacuated, 

Butter + olive oil to prevent the butter burning, then the onion and garlic to flavor the fat, then the pasta water to form a sauce and to thicken it with its starch, then if you like lemon or lime to acidify to brighten the scallops. 

Extras, if you like: Aromatic herb, wine, sun dried tomato, pine nuts, pretty much whatever you like or whatever you have on hand. 



The scallops are added to the hot oil still frozen. No need to be all fussy about it.



~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

This particular email means a lot to me. It came across at the same time I was on a call from another person thanking me for hosting Paul's party on Friday. Doesn't anybody send cards anymore? That reminds me, I should probably check the mail. 

The thing is, this email comes from a person who himself hosts gatherings that are quite large or else there would be little point. He hires bartenders, caterers, waiters, and clean up crew so that he can spend the whole time properly -- doing his best to make sure nobody steals anything, I suppose. I know as fact the anxiety, anticipation, and preparation makes him insane because I've been around to see it. Tragic.

Subject: JUST WONDERFUL!!!
I have to say that when you emailed me with the invite to Paul's birthday I thought that there would be six to ten people.  Wrong!
You really created a wonderful night.  You have an ability that few have in that you can have pressure all around you but you just stay on your course.
Great atmosphere, good friends, and super food.  All the bases were covered.
It was great to see you and thanks for inviting me,
                                                                                                   Bob

No comments:

Blog Archive