napa cabbage, tofu, wood ear mushrooms in kombu bonito dashi


black      tree       ear

If the bottom line of ear would be parallel with the top, then the kanji sign would be eye.





This is such a fine delightful and delicious combination of flavors, I wish I had discovered it earlier.

I've known about the elements for decades but had not internalized them. They were just these weird things I combined. Then one day I combined them with my own beef broth so excellently that it changed everything. And now I cannot imagine living without them.

Later I mixed them with water for similar effect.

I made a whole pot. A quart and a half of liquid and 1/4 of a large napa cabbage. I can alter the taste of the remainder with chile flakes, sauce, or powder or paste, or fresh chiles. I can add toasted sesame seed oil for increased depth. I can add noodles or potato or rice. Or any kind of soup stock that I like. Or miso. The possibilities are endless.

This is started with seafood dashi of kombu seaweed and bonito flakes. That is the base. It's very light. Like tea. 

To that, the customary additions, mirin, saki, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar.

Then tofu and the vegetable elements. 

I am really digging tofu right now. I should buy more than I do. I prefer it over steak and chicken and pork. My entire taste for food is changing. Now, so many things that I loved seem a bit heavy.

2 comments:

vza said...

Hi Chip,
FYI Surprisingly flavorful tomatoes during the winter months! Bought at my local grocery store. Have you tried these?

https://www.sunsetgrown.com/products/campari/

Chip Ahoy said...

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind and look for the brand.

Blog Archive