banana nut bread with raisins and pickles












I ain't got no recipe.

I just put in the things I think it should have in the amounts that I think should go by well-known staged technique.

Fine. Here's the recipe. Gawl, people are so concrete in this modern age.

1/2 stick of butter. That's 2 oz. and not quite enough fat. Fat tenderizes cakes.

1/2 block of Philadelphia cream cheese. That's 4 oz

1 Cup white sugar. Sugar is hydroscopic, that means sugar attracts water molecules. It keeps cake moist.

Those three things are whisked. Creamed as they say.

1 teaspoon vanilla extract because vanilla makes everything better, even chocolate.

4 tablespoons banana liquor. It's actually quite good if you taste it by itself. That surprised me.

2 old black bananas cut in half and squeezed out like toothpaste. This is the point of the whole thing, to use those rotten bananas.

1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt.

1/2 cup whole milk, this is basically to make the mixture take more flour to fill my pan

2.5 cups sifted a/p flour, this is mid rage protein. It wouldn't hurt to use low protein cake flour

2 level teaspoons baking powder. One level teaspoon for each cup of flour. 

1/2 cup pecans

1/2 cup raisins

1/3 cup chopped bread and butter pickles. 

Bake at 350℉ for 42 minutes. (35 +7 in my case) It looked done at 35 minutes but a little bit light. I wanted to make sure without sticking anything into it like a thermometer. So I let it go darker.

And that's how I roll.

Then, I decided on berries and raspberry preserves and whipped cream and mint. It's a thing with me, a food stylist impulse, while the internal photographer, a slave to this process, prefers as much color as possible.

About 1/3 cup heavy cream is whipped in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of banana liquor poured in to take the place of vanilla extract, and less than 1/4 cup sugar. Whisked with an emersion blender with whip attachment. That goes a lot faster than hand-whipping, but either way works. The cream must be chilled. The colder the better because it's the milk fat that does it. (Whereas eggs whip up better at room temperature.)

No comments:

Blog Archive