Burger Fi, chile cheese dog, jalapeño burger, chocolate milk shake


The hotdog is burnt with chile and cheese pouring out of the container. It's a mess.

The fries are undercooked.

The milkshake is too thick to suck through a very thick straw until it melts. 

Will I go back? 

Of course!

The hamburger has hits of jalapeño throughout. 

The people there are sweet as can be. Both the workers and the customers.

I walk past the large windows to get to the front door. I could go in the exit door and walk through the restaurant to the counter, but I'd rather do it the right way, the long way around.

As I approach the front door two large young male customers are watching me through the glass door.

One literally jumps up from his table nearest the door and rushes forward to open it from the inside. For me.

He is about three inches taller than myself. I am six feet tall and wearing boots. He is heavier than me. And at least half my age. As I walk past him holding open the door I say, "Thank you." 

He says, "Nice shirt." 

I don't know why the pattern on this shirt gets so much attention, but it does. At first I thought it was ASL fingerspelling configurations, but they are not. Young people notice this shirt. This is the third time in a few weeks they've said so. And I don't go out that much. These are very short walking trips, brief episodes.


There are only three signs repeated. An orange "10," the hitchhikers thumb, a green "Y," the Hawaiian shaka "hang loose" sign, and silver "F" or "3," the Chef Boyardee "Ok" sign. So you could make this shirt easily by hand printing a dark blue with ink stamps. 


Cut out the unwanted portions. 

The hieroglyph ones look good too. 


The emoji stamps are cute.


So then in there at Burger Fi they hand you an electronic buzzer to tell you when to come up and get your order. But whenever I go in there they tell me to find a place to sit and they bring my order to me. 

Now, this is 1/2 a block from my apartment. In that short distance and  brief period I have two instances of young people being acutely situationally aware and outwardly considerate toward me. I cannot overstate the how immediate and personal this is. The grace extended to me every moment of my interaction around here is quite impressive. By young people 1/2 or 1/3 my age. Every single time I step out. And the amazing thing is I can do all these things myself. 

No comments:

Blog Archive