Ham and cheese sandwich, homemade bread

 

The first bite doesn't get everything, it seems a bit empty then the trace mustard hits and fills the mouth with sudden explosive flavor that's coated and mollified with soothing mayonnaise and I am thinking, Man, that's enough for me. The next bite gets everything and the considered balance is known, too much of any one thing blows the balance for the whole sandwich. 

Have you ever made a mobile? 

There's balance for you. 

If you look up "mobile" in images you get pages of phones. Then Alabama. 

If you look up "art, mobile" you get pages of the same crappy mobiles over and over a million times. The things being mobilized are leaves. Make believe leaves. Flat pieces of colored metal football shapes. America football, ovals with pinched ends. They are not actual things. They are repeated in mad tight sequence. Apparently that is soothing. Or something. 

My mobiles resulted from abundance of plastic model kit pieces. Reassembled into make believe planes. That cannot fly. Except in a mobile. I learned how to balance them. Balance a light thing against heavy. Balance one piece against all the others. Balance half the mobile against the other half and have little plastic make believe airplanes flying all over a corner of my room. 

I balanced origami cranes in a mobile and had cranes flying around all over. 

I balanced pieces of puzzle against pieces of completed puzzle for a mobile that suggested it was putting itself together. 

I balanced pieces of service ware to make it appear dinner was setting itself. 

I balanced small toys you get inside cereal boxes and Jack in the Box peanut popcorn and Kinder Surprises. 

I balanced the things inside the trough of the main desk drawer to make stenography appear to be insane.

I balanced shoes that neither my brother or I could wear.

I balanced returned and marked folded up schoolwork, C in this, D in that, mostly below average.

I balanced Halloween candy. As you can image, the mobile did not last very long.

I balanced plastic fish.

I balanced different plastic insects. 

I balanced Lincoln Logs.

I balanced LEGO pieces. Somebody else's pieces. I never caught onto that toy. Stupid things didn't fit consistently. Some too tight, others too loose. Some you cannot get apart, others fall apart. Best in a mobile. 

I balanced crayons with boxes of crayons with things colored in crayon.

I balanced coins. 

These mobiles came down fast as they went up, it was a continuous stream of mobiles for awhile, probably about six months. A phase. Okay? My family tolerated this. They tolerated everything.

And I thought back then, if I ever become an accountant I could do some mad corporate balancing. But I'd rather become a cook. But cooks do not get paid their worth and accounting is otherwise boring. This mobile art is actually not attractive nor is it even interesting so I just abandoned the whole thing. 

Presently I have no interest in mobiles and neither does anyone else. But my sandwiches come out very well balanced and so does everything else. I've had very good practice.

I look at all of those images of mobiles and I think, every one of these sucks. Every single one. They can't even tell the difference between a genuine mobile and a ring of dangling crap. 

No comments:

Blog Archive