Chocolate soufflé, part 2


THAT's what I'm talk'n 'bout!  And it only took two tries. 

I did read a couple of books. I read them before and now I re-read the pertinent sections: Bittersweet by Alice Medrich, and The Chocolate Bible by Christian Teubner. As I thought I recalled, they instruct along the lines of classical technique. Their mixtures contain both couverture chocolate and powdered cocoa for a double whammy of intense chocolate. The heavy mixture is lightened with a portion of the whipped egg white with the rest of the whipped egg white folded into the lightened mixture. That is not what I am looking for. Those soufflés do not have elevation either, judging by the photos in the two books, and frankly, this is better. Unless you are un porc de chocolat, of course, then by all means go for the heavy chocolate variation. The rest of us know how to control our impulses and that is why we are thin, lithe, and svelte and you are probably not.  ))) POP ((( I make the smug Gallic popping sound with the hand in front of my mouth, for emphasis. 


The crumb of plain white bread with the crust trimmed, soaked in Mozart Chocolate Liqueur and obscenely strong espresso. 


I am glad that I saved the egg whites from the steamed dumpling fiasco here. They came in handy today. This soufflé has no egg yolk although I do not see any problem with including one or two here with the soaked bread. 


The flavored bread pieces are already light, but they are lightened further with 1/3 of the whipped egg whites, also flavored with sugar and vanilla. 


I could make twelve or twenty of these as easily as I make one. Except for preparing the baking dishes, that would be a drag. Imagine securing the admiration of my peers all at once with a stunt like that. 


BANG! Dayitiz. Who's your daddy?


The ganache is ordinary Ghiradelli chocolate chips heated with heavy cream. Nothing to write home about. 

Oh, I almost forgot -- this ↓ is what I was munching while messing around with this chocolate soufflé. It has nothing to do with it except that it says right there somewhere in the Bible, I never knew exactly where (the real Bible, not the chocolate one), that man cannot exist on chocolate egg-foam alone, or something, I forget the exact words.

No comments:

Blog Archive