Tiny biscuits



These are the tiny biscuits made yesterday for the pigeon peas.  They were wrapped in the aluminum foil that they were baked on and sealed but when the bundle was opened this morning I saw they had become completely dry. I thought, "Ew, hard. Fine, I'll just toss these." But, instead I popped one in my mouth and it veritably dissolved into buttery powder with the most amazingly light mouth-feel of any biscuit I've ever eaten. They had turned overnight by drying into what Americans would call a cookie, although still slightly more savory than sweet. The Italian herbs included in the dough were still evident. These are, quite frankly, the most interesting stale biscuits I've ever eaten. They would be perfect to dip into coffee or to float on a soup. They deserve their own post. 

These biscuits are about as big as an 'O' you could make with your thumb and index finger. 

For a small batch.

1/2 cup A/P flour, no need to concern yourself about sifting
1 tablespoon cold butter rubbed into the flour
1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
1/2  teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 grind pepper
1 level teaspoon baking powder (a lot for this amount of dough)
1/4 cup approx. heavy cream or milk.

Bake on high heat until brown. 

I think I'm going to love these with all my heart for now on. Maybe I should get a baking pan or two specifically for mini balls so they can be perfect little balls instead of flat-bottom balls. 

No comments:

Blog Archive