Spring rolls



I went to a local grocery store well-known for a good seafood counter but when I got there I saw that the company is expanding into the space immediately adjacent, which is a good thing because the place was always too small, but a not so good thing for me today because it will be a few weeks before they have an improved seafood counter up and running.  As it is, the selection was very poor. I noticed the best deal there were pathetic little packages of catfish trimmings. I thought in that moment, "I can do something with that."

The other disappointment is their obvious lack of appreciation for basic Asian ingredients. I intend to head out to the Asian market, but that's miles farther out. The store I was in did have rice noodles but they were the wrong size and they were ridiculously priced. So they can just take their overpriced rice noodles and stick them ... back on the shelf. I opted instead for ordinary Western angel hair pasta which worked out fine. 

So, two very strange ingredients for spring rolls: catfish and angel hair pasta. But that's the thing about spring rolls, they can be made of anything you wish. 

So can the sauce for that matter. I looked at a few sites to see what people are up to and the sites that accept comments are filled with so many wild variations that altogether they render the original post rather superfluous. 

Care to hear something amusing? The name of this local grocery store I went to today is King Soopers. It's been awhile since I stopped in mostly because their parking is wanting. The company has outlets all around town and throughout the suburbs. The outlet I went to is located nearby on Capitol Hill and has always been considered something of a sociological study in microcosm. Due to the high percentage of gay patronage relative to other nearby grocers the place picked up the agnomen Queen Soopers. To exchange the royal gender that way in conversation is to specify precisely the outlet under discussion and creates an immediate place-visualization in the mind of one's interlocutor.  Extending the rough humor along that same line, cruelty based on the obvious and undeniable, funny for its rejection of political correctness, the King Soopers located a few miles away that serves predominately Hispanic customers is called Bean Soopers. Those two bastardizations never fail to crack me up because these happen to be two of my favorite local stores precisely for their specialized customer bases which forces the company outlets to differ starkly from the same company outlets located in the suburbs which you can imagine are homogeneously undifferentiated.  [The remodeling being carried out in the store I was in today is shaping up to make it appear like all the others. But it will be only a matter of a few months until the customer base of the place forces it to take on a character unique to every thing else around.]

Previous spring rolls:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great material.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the great material.

Blog Archive