Linguini and eggs








Arts!

It is a type of carbonara, not the serious authentic deal, but a similar thing. A snack. You know how you come home and fix yourself a cheese sandwich by slapping together cheese and bread and heat it to melty perfection? This is like that except wetter. And saucier. And butterier. This actually has two sauces, butter, and egg yolk. And a lot better cheese. And this has fresh basil. And probably a lot more spices sprinkled on top. Okay fine, it's not anything like cheese sandwich at all. Sorry. I was trying to say it is a slap together thing, a fallback that gets you out of going to any trouble.

You don't have to fry the egg, you know. It can be cracked directly onto the cooked pasta, off the heat.

Ed: I came back here to mention this. About the fried egg, normally you wouldn't do this but I did for the photo and for my situation. For the purposes of timing and presentation and keeping warm, a separate plate is run under hot water for the eggs. The eggs are fried on low heat in enough butter to cover the pasta so the eggs are swimming in butter and slid onto the plate where they are easily trimmed while the pasta finishes. I did not use a ring to get that shape. It messes another plate but the egg white would have covered the plated pasta which is fine were it not being photographed or otherwise presented. It is the yolk that I am mostly interested in anyway. The pan of butter becomes the sauce for the pasta so it is seasoned, the pasta added, and then cheese off the heat. If I were watching my weight or cholesterol then my choices would be a little different.

1 comment:

ndspinelli said...

When it comes to eating dishes like this I do so infrequently. And, when I do I just say to myself, the few days this may take off my life comes @ the end of my existence..when I'm drooling and incontinent. So, mangia!

Blog Archive