Bean burrito, homemade tortillas



This is delicious. Better than I imagined. The approach is to get a selection of spices heated in oil the way curry is started, sequentially and abundantly. Mexican type spices this time that includes chipotle chile in adobo. All of that oil and spice and adobo sauce is combined and heated in a pan large enough to take all the beans. The beans are smashed incompletely and liquid is added, the thickness controlled with water or stock.

I've never had a bean burrito this delicious. That is because I put the things into the beans that I like in the amounts that I like them. I stood there and watched the spices in the oil and considered what else the mixture could use. The beans, smashing as I go, took five or so adjustments of chicken stock to get the texture spreadable with bean lumps the way I wanted, and it will probably need adjustment when I go back for MOAR!

The iceberg lettuce is nearly white, not much green there, so it does not photograph well and it does not have much taste but the tender crispness it contributes can only be enjoyed straight off the sandwich board. The lettuce begins to wilt upon contact with the heated bean mixture, rolled up like that, there isn't much time.

The tortillas are my own. Made with lard, baking powder, and rolled out thinly. They are never round. These are irregular shaped, the edges almost crenelated.

1 comment:

ndspinelli said...

The tortillas are, in my opinion, critical. We spend winters in San Diego and love freshly made tortillas served @ your table ala bread in an Italian restaurant. Yours sound great.

My mother-in-law makes great pies. It's the lard baby!

I come from a fam of restaurant owners. My brother was a chef @ Mama Maria's and Davio's in Boston. I'm not @ his or your level, but I know enough to appreciate it.

Blog Archive