Rib-eye pot roast




This is a 2.5 LB roast picked up Christmas eve right before the store closed. The place was packed, although there were no vehicles out on the street. It was one of some half dozen packages I threw into my cart because the meat was discounted deeply, a lot of it just at that moment because they were closing for Christmas and did not want all those meats around an extra idle day. The grocery is usually open twenty-four hours. 

This roast caught my eye in the heap of steaks because I had just been impressed with the standing rib roast presented at Oliver's. I thought it was a bone-in steak at first and it was a thing of real beauty but it turned out to be a lot deeper when I looked closer and my angle of sight changed. The price was $18.00 LB for bone in, that seemed like a lot and that is about what I paid there for two rib-eye steaks. It was an extravagance. And the steaks were tremendous

That is what these steaks cost originally at a regular grocery store and it certainly is not worth it. $32.00 for 2.5 LBS rib-eye roast, forget that, UDSA Choice, ridiculously lean, but then marked down to $20.00 for quick sale, and that is not so bad if you can see a need for such a big steak, and now marked down further to $12.00 to urgently get it out of the store. It went into the cart without even thinking. Not bad, eh?

It was crowded with people all around, but not around me, so I raised my voice to a nearby gang of three tall men perusing the other side of the cabinet, "Hey Dudes, look at this. All these meats are marked way down to get rid of them. It's like Christmas over here." 

"Very funny." 

They did not join me. So I loaded my cart with the best of the heap and wheeled off.

Then they converged on the spot that I vacated and examined the cabinet but too bad I took all the good stuff.

But so what because the butchers came right back out and loaded the cabinet again with urgently discounted meats. 

I went in for a few last minute emergency things, milk eggs and such, and so did everybody else. My bill at the end, the very end, they closed behind me, came to $230.00 and I was quite happy about all of that.


No comments:

Blog Archive