Mixed beans polenta with two fried eggs


Although coffee grinders are designed to grind up coffee beans they can be used to grind up other types of beans to produce a bean grind or bean flour or dust that can be treated like polenta, grits, or cornmeal mush. This is what could be called a kitchen hack. 

This is turning out to be one of my favorite things. 




These are some of the types of beans that are common to my area. I'm mixing them just to see what happens. 



Disclosure laws compel me to state that three coffee grinders were destroyed doing this, but they were the cheap kind, and it was the popcorn kernels that wore them out, and I had a tendency to overload the poor things. Now I learned to do this in smaller batches of no more than 1/4 cup at a time. I'm still a little bit afraid of the corn though. 




Beef stock was added to full absorption. You can decide for yourself how thick you want the mixture to be. Pudding-like texture is nice, but this is more firm like a bean patty.

Butter, salt, pepper and my favorite Latin spices and herbs were included, cumin, coriander, cayenne, Mexican oregano. If you think about it, the combination used regularly like this amounts to a Latin curry. 

No comments:

Blog Archive