Pepperoni pizza 1 of 3


This is the dough formed and shown yesterday. It was refrigerated immediately and suffered other disadvantages put to it on purpose, full salt, cold water, no starting yeast proofing at all so it did not rise very much and that's just perfect for cracker-like crust.



Semolina was left out accidentally yesterday and 20% is preferred so it's added now along with additional water.


These are the ingredients scrounged up for toppings.  




The parchment paper is used to deliver the pizza to the hot pizza stone. 

The paper is left in there a minute until the bread dries then it can be snapped out without the pizza sticking, like a magician, with tongs or living dangerously without tongs. 


Using tongs again, the cooked pizza is slid back onto the tray and transferred to a cutting board. The paper now partially burned, is used again to keep the tray clean. It's a bachelor thing. The paper is not needed and neither is the tray. The pizza can as easily be slid directly onto a cutting board. Still, it's handy, and the paper can be used tomorrow again too for a savings of 1 parchment sheet.



This pizza is very good, better than the pizzas that I've had from three nearby places. This crust is better than all three and and so is the topping and as you see only very basic ingredients are used.

Let's not even mention the frozen pizzas in the same paragraph. All of them. There's something gravely wrong with them.  

I have no idea what that cheese is. Caña de cabra, goat shank, I don't know, I just saw it and bought it. It was inexpensive amongst the goat cheeses and bries and other ridiculously expensive cheeses at a ridiculously expensive place. 

Odd thing that. I encountered two very old people there. Ancient it seemed. One had the appearance of a bag lady. Both very standoffish. But there we were at the same place looking at the same things so I engaged both. Separate instances. I made three passes across a double length of cases in a tight spot. Neither knew anything about the products at hand. That is what our conversation was about. After breaking the ice with disarming bon mots they both opened up and both acted on my suggestion based on what very little I know myself. 

The sauce is tomato paste spread thinly, and anchovy paste spread even more sparsely than that, and the caña de cabra with thin heirloom tomato together tastes like grapes. At first. Then something else sweet. It's delightful. Not anchovy-ish at all.

Win. 

My speedlight broke and now I have to resort to worse things. The settings are all over the place and I'm getting all kinds of strange results I don't know what to do with. Worse, I'm impatient with the tripod right now so everything has to be wide open and fast. 

No comments:

Blog Archive