snack, napa cabbage

The first time I did this with plain napa cabbage and salt and pepper flakes and that worked fine for me. The cabbage fries much more quickly than green and savoy cabbage and releases water when its done.






Butter, salt, black pepper, scant sesame seed oil.





Since then I've upped my game simply but with considerable affect.  Just a few alterations changes things magnificently. Tonight I forgot the red pepper flakes, an ingredient I considered key, but it turned out just fine without them. 



This fish sauce is awful on its own. It's the Asian equivalent of ancient Rome's garum. You wouldn't think of eating it straight while in very small doses it fills out other ingredients incredibly. 



All these ingredients in near trace amounts. 1/4 teaspoon, thereabout.

I also added 1/4 teaspoon sugar to create a sweet/sour effect with the vinegar. Also about 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. 



Tonight I added a cup of commercial chicken stock that comes in a carton. The whole thing turned out very nice. I don't know why I find this so satisfying. It's so easy and fast it makes the perfect late night snack. 

Obviously it can be further enhanced with anything. I was thinking about bacon tonight but didn't want to get involved with that. Any other vegetable you happen to have around will go with this. So will noodles, so will miso, so will fish, shrimp, whatever you have and feel like using. 

No comments:

Blog Archive