sourdough loaf


The starter sponge was left in the refrigerator waaaaay longer than it should have. I left on a trip for five days and the starter sponge was already well beyond its fermentation period. So it is very strong. Over fermented. 

That was mixed with aprox. 2/3 more fresh dough. So, diluted considerably. I haven't tasted it yet but it should be rather mild but still stronger than what you would buy commercially. 

I'm very pleased with this loaf. It was made carelessly as can be. I added two cups of water with four cups of scooped flour unsifted and all of the starter sponge with a tablespoon of flake salt and let it go in the mixing machine. It was was plopped onto the work surface and covered with a plastic storage container. Then stretched in all directions and folded in fourths. That's it. 

A large chunk was cut off, about 1/3, and returned to the bowl to proof in the refrigerator. 

The thing is, I don't eat that much bread. I'll only want a few slices. And then the starter/sponge will be ready to inoculate another batch. 

This works just as well, just as fast as commercial dry yeast. It's fun to play with. But I dislike being stuck to its timing. The starter/sponge will be ready before I am so it will overproof too.

Using combined fresh dough this way allows for a thinner crust that stretches as skin. All sourdough with no fresh dough produces very thick crust with nonelastic skin. 

No comments:

Blog Archive