Bison burger, spinach


*  The last of three burgers formed from a pound of ground bison with nothing added, fried in a pot. A pot! Does the insanity never end?

* A bag of frozen spinach heated in that same pot. The moisture from the spinach augmented with old souring red wine picked up the remnant fond left in the pot. Seasoned with dry herbs.  Sage, thyme. S/P. Removed to a breakfast bowl.

* Butter, 1/3 teaspoon flour, the same herbs sage and thyme, S/P, heated to bubbling. Splashed with the same old wine, splashed with chicken broth, splashed with Half & Half along with heavy cream (remainder from making ice cream). So those four liquids: wine, broth, H&H, cream, all in small amounts, flavored with the same agents as the spinach, for harmony, combine into a new slightly thickened liquid substance that is unheard of anywhere on Earth, and here is where the insanity ends, shallot (we like a lot), and chunked aged hard Gouda cheese to melt off the heat. This took a tad longer than I imagined, its recalcitrant hardness unwilling to give in. Maybe grating it would have been faster.

I licked my plate like a dog. Not on the floor, mind you, what do think I am over here, uncivilized?

Zingerman's wrote me a letter. Don't read it because it's private!


Hi bo,

We noticed you have an open shopping cart at
Zingerman’s with some food in it.
Don’t worry. The food won’t spoil. We just want to make sure that’s
what you intended.
Sometimes folks think they’ve finished their order and they haven’t. We
didn’t want that to happen to you.
Take me to my shopping cart
To leave your order unfinished, delete this email, point your head
skywards, and yell “Noooooo!” in a howl across the room.
If you have any questions Reply to this email or ring us at 1 888 636
8162.

Ah, noticed that then. Shows you're paying attention. I wrote back to a'splain myself


Hello.

Yes. I started a cart because I'm interested in
learning what's the big deal with risotto and polenta. I do already
enjoy the rice and ground corn that I make myself but the book by
Weinzweig convinced me I've got a lot to learn.
Here's the thing. $12.00 shipping for a trial order is high but
acceptable. I've paid more than that for education. But at checkout the
"warm weather care" charge nearly doubled the shipping amount. I
decided at that moment to wait for cooler weather. See? I'm delaying
gratification. It's a sign of maturity. Yes, I do understand the reason
for the charge and I appreciate the care you take in protecting your
product, but it doesn't make sense for the size order I was placing.
Thank you for double checking and for notifying. It's further proof to
me the confidence I hold in you is well founded.
Cheers,
Bo.

Zingerman's acknowledges:


Hi Bo,

Wow! I understand what you mean in the warm
weather care charge. It make sense to wait and order those items in the
fall when we do have a cool down in the weather. You will enjoy tasting
the polenta for sure, this is one of my family favorite things to have
for breakfast. In the mean time, if there is anything else that I can
do for you, please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Lela ~ Zingerman's Mail Order

No comments:

Blog Archive